Phuket Opens North Island Disaster Centre After Decade

Phuket Opens North Island Disaster Centre After Decade

For property owners in North Phuket, the question is not whether disasters happen, but how quickly help arrives when they do. A new facility at Tha Chatchai, opened this week after nearly ten years of delay, is meant to provide part of the answer.

The Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation has formally opened the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Centre, a long-idle government complex that was originally built under a central budget valued at around B131 million and intended for completion a decade ago.

The facility remained unused for years due to incomplete works and structural deterioration before being transferred to the PPAO in 2024 for rehabilitation. Repair works worth approximately B1.37 million were carried out to make the buildings operational.

The opening ceremony was held on May 18, presided over by Vice Admiral Veerudom Muangchin, Commander of the Royal Thai Navy Region 3, with PPAO President Rewat Areerob presenting the project report. Senior military and administrative officials attended, along with representatives from Phuket’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Why the centre matters for North Phuket property

The facility is located on more than 14 rai of state land in the Tha Chatchai area, covering Phuket’s northern gateway. The site includes three buildings that were previously left idle before renovation.

PPAO President Rewat Areerob said the centre will serve as a central hub for disaster prevention and mitigation, integrating policy, personnel, resources and volunteer networks to ensure rapid assistance 24 hours a day.

He cited Phuket’s rapid tourism and economic expansion, combined with increasingly volatile weather conditions, as factors that have heightened the province’s exposure to floods, landslides, fires and marine accidents. He pointed to recent incidents in Karon and Chalong as examples underscoring the need for a fully equipped, rapidly deployable response centre in the north of the island.

For property owners, landlords and developers in North Phuket, particularly those in flood-prone and coastal risk areas, the operational status of the centre could affect emergency response times, coordination with local authorities, and access to equipment during monsoon season or severe weather events.

What the facility will do

The centre now operates as a coordinated command point for disaster response across Phuket’s northern districts. Rewat said it will function as a training base for emergency drills, disaster response coordination and medical support operations, while serving as a mobilisation point for volunteer rescue organisations.

The facility will support inter-agency drills, equipment deployment and emergency coordination with local authorities and private volunteer foundations.

In plain English, the centre is meant to act as a staging area and coordination hub when disasters occur, rather than a standalone rescue service. Its effectiveness will depend on how well it integrates with existing emergency networks, volunteer foundations and local government response teams.

The decade-long delay

The site had previously been subject to scrutiny over its long period of inactivity. According to earlier inspections by the National Anti-Corruption Commission Phuket office, the project was originally valued at around B131 million and was intended for completion nearly a decade ago.

Construction was delayed and the buildings were left unused for years. The site was eventually transferred from the Treasury Department to the PPAO for development after the extended period of inactivity.

NACC officials had earlier visited the site to monitor progress and confirm rehabilitation efforts were underway, while urging compliance with public asset management procedures.

Repairs worth approximately B1.37 million were later approved after the PPAO took over the site in 2024. Authorities indicated the facility would be brought into use after refurbishment works were completed.

What remains to be seen

The centre is now operational, but its impact on disaster response times and coordination quality in North Phuket will depend on execution, staffing, equipment deployment and integration with existing emergency networks.

For property owners in flood-risk zones, the opening does not eliminate risk, but it does signal increased government attention to disaster preparedness in North Phuket. Whether that translates into faster response times, better coordination or more effective flood management remains to be tested during the next monsoon season.

The facility’s role as a training base for emergency drills may also influence how local authorities and volunteer organisations prepare for seasonal flooding, landslides and coastal incidents.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does this centre do for property owners in flood-prone areas?

The centre operates as a coordination hub for disaster response across North Phuket, particularly covering flood-prone and coastal risk areas. It is meant to improve response times and integrate emergency services, volunteer networks and local authorities. Its effectiveness will depend on execution during actual emergencies.

Why did the facility take a decade to open?

The buildings were originally constructed under a central budget valued at around B131 million and were intended for completion nearly a decade ago. Construction was delayed, and the buildings were left unused for years due to incomplete works and structural deterioration. The site was transferred to the PPAO in 2024, and repairs worth approximately B1.37 million were carried out before the facility was opened.

Is the centre a rescue service?

No. The centre acts as a command point, training base and mobilisation hub for disaster response coordination, equipment deployment and inter-agency cooperation. It supports volunteer rescue organisations and local authorities, but is not a standalone rescue service.

Which areas does the centre cover?

The centre covers Phuket’s northern districts, with a focus on flood-prone and coastal risk areas. It is located at Tha Chatchai, near Phuket’s northern gateway, on more than 14 rai of state land.

What happened to the original budget?

The original project was valued at around B131 million and was intended for completion nearly a decade ago. The buildings were left unused for years, and the National Anti-Corruption Commission monitored the site over its long period of inactivity. After the PPAO took over the site in 2024, repairs worth approximately B1.37 million were approved to make the buildings operational.

Sources

  • The Phuket News — Disaster centre opens after decade-long delay — link
author avatar
Gaël Ovide-Etienne
Gaël oversees all marketing efforts for Ocean Worldwide. He manages marketing campaigns to connect with prospective buyers, conducts research and market analysis, and leverages AI to enhance all aspects of the business. This approach ensures better and faster results for our buyers and sellers.

Join The Discussion

Compare listings

Compare